Saturday, July 23, 2016

Open champion Henrik Stenson targets Olympic gold



He has just achieved his childhood dream, but Henrik Stenson is already dreaming of new triumphs.
The 40-year-old Swede wore down Phil Mickelson in an epic battle to clinch the Claret Jug at Royal Troon,
and is looking to add to his fledgling major haul and perhaps throw in an Olympic gold medal and the Ryder Cup in the next few weeks.


Stenson shot a blistering 63 for a major record-equaling total of 20 under par as he edged the 46-year-old Mickelson by three shots on a scintillating final day of the British Open in Scotland.

But now the first Scandinavian man to win a major hopes the "floodgates" can open so he can bring home more silverware for his three young kids -- six-year-old Karl, apparently, is fed up with dad coming home empty handed after another close call.
"It's a dream come true," Stenson, now the world No. 5, told CNN Sport's Alex Thomas in an interview at Royal Troon's clubhouse Sunday.

"I started the playing game when I was 11. Footage from the Open Championship and the Ryder Cup are the first memories I had as a kid.
I dreamed about standing there with the Claret Jug and now it's finally come true. I'm extremely happy.
"When you're coming off a fresh win you're always eager to get back out there and do it again.
I've got another opportunity in two weeks in the last major of the year in the U.S
. and then we've got the Olympics and the Ryder Cup. There's a lot of golf to be played and I going to try to get another one as soon as I can."

No comments:

Post a Comment