Sunday, March 20, 2011

Couple shares date with royal wedding

Photo courtesy of Rebecca Martin/Stuart Wood for Sunday Express 

Scott Gunnell and Rebecca Martin had one reaction to Will and Kate's nuptials: "Please don't let it be!'"

When Scott Gunnell asked Rebecca Martin to marry him in April 2010, the first thing they did was select their wedding date. "We chose a Friday because it was less expensive," says Gunnell, 32, who lives just outside London with his fiancée. "April 29 is a special day to us."
Their special day took an unexpected turn after months of planning their English wedding. In November, Prince William and Kate Middleton broadcast their wedding date across the world.
"It was weird because suddenly it was plastered everywhere," says Gunnell. "It became everyone's day, not just ours."

Martin heard the news while listening to a broadcast at work. "I thought, 'Please don't let it be April 29! Please don't let it!'" But when they announced that, despite her wish, April 29 was indeed the Royal date, she couldn’t help but react.
"I said 'yes!' and started jumping up and down. And then not so much. It's my big day and some of that has been taken away," says Martin. "I go quite up and down. I feel more positive at the moment, but then you hear so-and-so designer is going to design [Kate Middleton's] dress and suddenly you think about your own dress. Her dress is designer and fabulous and one of a kind, and mine is from the shop and there are quite a few more of them out there. It's not such a fairy tale after all."
[ Related: Royal wedding dresses of the past ]
In addition to royal bride overload (and constant reminders of the impending day, which only add to Martin's jitters), there was another factor to consider. "I'd quite like to watch the royal wedding on telly myself!" Martin laughs.
Martin found a solution and admits that even she is likely to be stationed in front of the TV on the morning of her own wedding. She'll get up to step into her dress "and then plunk back down," she says. "Maybe it will calm my nerves, I can practice my vows with her."
Courtesy Rebecca Martin
Gunnell and Martin
In some ways, Martin and Gunnell feel an unexpected kinship with the royal couple. Sharing their own big day may have "sweet and sour" notes, says Martin, but they both feel like they are part of a historical moment.
"It's surreal and the kind of thing you expect to happen to other people," says Martin, who has no plans to compare her actual ceremony to that of the royal couple."I'm not that interested in her, which sounds selfish but I’ve got my own big day. I've got to focus on mine, not on hers."
"And Kate Middleton will be uncomfortable and I’m wearing sparkling tennis shoes and I've got a dress that you can pull out if I eat too much," laughs the bride-to-be, who'll keep her straightforward registry instead of the royal model. "It's still going to be my day."
The couple's big day is also attracting its own share of attention. "We're known as the couple that is sharing our wedding with the royals," says Gunnell. "I get text messages from people, and it comes up a lot in conversation."
And every year, Gunnell is sure to get a royal nudge when it's time to buy flowers. "I've got no excuse to ever forget an anniversary!"

 


News Source: Yahoo

No comments:

Post a Comment