Saturday, May 7, 2016

Sonam and I are competitive not insecure: Jacqueline Fernandez


Se purrs. She preens. She stealthily walks around the white marbled floor, stretching lazily before snuggling back into sweet slumber. The light-eyed, feline beauty stares at me curiously, and then quickly turns away while batting her lovely lashes. She's a perfect diva, no less than her gorgeous owner Jacqueline Fernandez. Yes, I am talking about Mew Mew, Jackie's darlin' pet cat, who joins us for this interview (I heard she skipped her grooming session to be here). She sits pretty with us on the couch, eyes closed, but all ears. Jacqueline's life, on the other hand, is a far stretch from this. The actress is left with time only for catnaps in between her packed year ahead.
She says, "It's been such an amazing journey that I can't complain. In the beginning it was a struggle, I didn't know anyone in the industry and my first two films didn't do well. I wanted to pursue a career in acting but I didn't realise that Bollywood would be my calling. I came here and saw Katrina (Kaif), a foreigner who was doing so well, and she learnt Hindi, too. It was encouraging."
She says, "It's been such an amazing journey that I can't complain. In the beginning it was a struggle, I didn't know anyone in the industry and my first two films didn't do well. I wanted to pursue a career in acting but I didn't realise that Bollywood would be my calling. I came here and saw Katrina (Kaif), a foreigner who was doing so well, and she learnt Hindi, too. It was encouraging."


"This was a new world for me, but after Murder 2 there was no looking back. I have a lot to thank Mohit Suri and the Bhatts (Mahesh and Mukesh)," adds the actress.

There was no mentor to begin with and that in an industry that sets the cat amongst the pigeons. She quickly responds, "In my early days here everyone was a stranger to me, and there was no one to protect me or give any advice. It was difficult and there was a language barrier, too. I had decided that my last shot in Bollywood would be Murder 2, and if that didn't work I had planned to move on from India. Now, I love this film industry. I am so grateful to people like Salman Khan, Sonam, Sajid Nadiadwala and Sujoy Ghosh, who I know is always there for me. Well, it's the 'S' effect in my life, all of them have been instrumental in being where I am today." She adds that apart from being her support system, they are her toughest critics, too. Jacqueline says, "Salman is blatantly honest, so is Sajid. He will tell me, 'You look terrible, or this wasn't as good.' But they will also tell me how to better myself. Sonam calls a spade a spade, but she gives me compliments galore, too. We are each other's cheerleaders. I have faced criticism and been a part of movies that haven't done well. The ones who give up never see stardom, you've to hang in there. From one film a year in the past, I have four films releasing this year with some of the most amazing actors — Akshay Kumar in Housefull 3, Varun Dhawan and John Abhraham in Dishoom and Tiger Shroff in A Flying Jatt. It happened so fast that it's an unbelievable feeling."Talking about her BFF Sonam, they are in the same space. Competing for the same films, maybe? Do they keep her claws sharpened to stave off competition? Jackie answers straight up, "Sonam and I are competitive people, but we are not insecure." She pauses and adds, "Sonam is very confident of what she wants and what she is, which is what makes her so secure. She lives in her own space and in her own world, and I do the same. I am so focused on what I want that I don't focus on what other actresses are doing. Yes, we're chasing the same directors and the same movies, but at the same time you can't do every single movie that comes your way. I truly believe that you get what you deserve. I can show an interest in a certain role, but I would never hound anyone for a role. I would never want to be a part of a movie where I feel that someone was forced to take me."here were rumours about Sonam trying to play matchmaker between her cousin Arjun Kapoor and Jacqueline. Well, I am being the curious cat here, but I can't help ask. She breaks into a loud laugh, "Sonam never tried to set me up with Arjun, it was one of those lovely rumours. Sonam was one of the first people I met in the industry and from childhood she knows everyone here. So naturally, she introduced me to all of them. She has introduced me to Arjun and Varun, too. We are a group of friends now, and when these articles come out its really funny. We wonder which idiot opened his mouth, and did something silly or dumb. The good thing about having friends in the industry is that we also know what is going on in reality, so Arjun and I still joke about it. We say, 'Oh, we just heard we broke up!' Clarifying rumours with the person concerned is the most important thing, the rest don't count. Luckily, I have that equation with most of them to do that. Right now, the only love of my life is Mew Mew, and she's ignoring me."



By now, Mew Mew has crawled cosily into Jackie's lap. A few minutes later, with little bit of TLC, she's back to snooze. And we are back chatting. From an absolute stranger here to a Bollywood star. Has it hit her, yet? She's quick to say, "Not at all! At times I don't even realise it. In my interviews when I get asked about stardom, or when I see a fan gathering, is when I realise that something is different. Salman tells me, 'You've got to believe that you're a star and act like that.' But it's weird, for some reason I still feel like this Sri Lankan girl from Bahrain who's come here to work."



Pressures of stardom aren't easy and not everyone can handle it. Recently, the tragic case of the suicide of a TV actress (Pratuysha Banerjee) made headlines. It's disturbing, isn't it? "Yes, the pressure can be very detrimental. There is so much more to life than just being an actor. It's so sad when someone ends their life for it. It's so not worth it. I agree that it is an extremely tough job because the whole world expects something of you, and unfortunately, a lot of people don't realise what it is from the inside. Actors are human beings, too, and being an actor is a full-time job. It is about keeping a smile on your face even when you're at your saddest, otherwise you will be criticised and written about for it. So, please don't judge what's going on in the inside. Only our families, friends and people from our industry know," expresses the actress.
News Source:Yahoo

No comments:

Post a Comment