Monday, April 11, 2011

Pregnant Portman gives up vegan diet

Natalie Portman (Michael Buckner/WireImage)  

The actress abandons morally inspired veganism because of her cravings.

Natalie Portman Gives Up Veganism

"I'm a veg." Steve Granitz/WireImage BREAKING: Natalie Portman is no longer the poster actress for the strict vegan lifestyle.

"I actually went back to being vegetarian when I became pregnant, just because I felt like I wanted that stuff," Portman tells the Q100 Bert Show in Atlanta. "I was listening to my body to have eggs and dairy and that sort of thing." (In addition to meat, eggs, dairy and any other products derived from animals are off-limits in the vegan diet.)

"I know there are people who do stay vegan, but I think you have to just be careful, you have to watch your iron levels and your b12 levels and supplement ... things you might be low in your diet," warns Portman, who turned vegan two years ago after reading Jonathan Safran Foer's book "Eating Animals."

In an essay written for the Huffington Post, Portman said the book reminded her that "some things are just wrong":

"Perhaps others disagree with me that animals have personalities, but the highly documented torture of animals is unacceptable," Portman wrote. "And the human cost Foer describes in his book, of which I was previously unaware, is universally compelling."

As for reincorporating some animal products into her diet during pregnancy, Portman explained in the radio interview: "Eggs I wanted in the beginning but then they grossed me out after a while. If you're not eating eggs, then you can't have cookies or cake from regular bakeries, which can become a problem when that's all you want to eat."

This is like when Gwyneth Paltrow made the shocking decision to cheat on her macrobiotic, miso soup-only diet by eating a cheeseburger. (How could she?). No word on whether Portman will return to veganism; since she's morally invested in it, there's a strong chance. But if she continues eating egg-based cookies past her baby's birth, that leaves the vegan community with only Moby and Lea Michele as its celebrity ambassadors.
 


News Source: YAHOO

No comments:

Post a Comment